Wednesday, March 24, 2010

King of the Cowboys...

Alan and I attended a funeral yesterday for Bud Sperry.  Bud is the father to Robert Sperry.  Bud passed away last Thursday unexpectedly.  He came in the house from doing chores and died at home.  He was a great guy and by the many people that attended the funeral, he was a friend to MANY!  We met Bud when we purchased Alan's heel horse, Tejano at the Sperry Horse Sale about 4 years ago.  I want to share with you the poem that was printed the the Funeral Bulletin...I think it sums up Bud's life...

I've met a heap o' cowboys, and some was real top hands.

I saw a million cattle, and read a lot o' brands.

I've seen some hard old winters, when nearly all the cattle died.

I've rode some cutting horses that could turn right out their hides.

I ate my share o'beefsteak, and drunk some whiskey, too.

And did a little dancin', with nothin' else to do.

Been bucked off old outlaws that I couldn't start to ride.

An' saw some fine old buddies go over the Great Divide.

With friends and family now, I'm making my last stand.

An' hoping to be horseback when I reach the Promised Land.

                                                           - Author Unknown

Rest in peace Bud Sperry! 

No comments:

Post a Comment